Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Desperately Seeking Adult Conversation

I know that sounds like the beginning of a really Spam, but it is the second snow day and I am starting to feel a bit cabin bound.

Once in a while a snow day can be fun, it can interrupt the long cold winter and bring together family bonding. (Hopefully not the type of bonding that involves duct tape.) but by the second day, the boys eyes are glazed over from unlimited video games. They have caught up on on the recorded programs on the DVR, and all the winter gear has been found to be 1. Too Little 2. Too old to wear (holes and elastic popping) or 3. Too wet (after it has been worn outside).

I did enjoy my day. I baked a cake, made Lasagna and Muddy Buddies and Jello cups. I finished grading the homework and spent way too much time deciding whether or not to cancel my class yesterday evening. (I did cancel the class, I hope my students did not miss me too much.)

So what shall we talk about...

Here is what I would be telling you about if you were in my kitchen right now.

For a while we have suspected we have some after hours teen activities in the back corner of our yard. We find empty beer and alcohol bottles. But this morning when I looked out on the freshly fallen snow in my back yard, this is what I saw.



Do you see those footprints? Do you know what that means?


The teenagers that have been partying in the back corner of my yard have also been walking into my yard towards my house. AND it appears from following the footsteps -- JUMPING ON MY TRAMPOLINE!!


So please tell me.


Am I just being paranoid?


Even if they really are in my yard, is it a big deal?


What can I do about it? (I mean besides using my CSI training to make imprints of the footsteps and then interviewing every kid from age thirteen to sixteen.)

13 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Can't help but wonder if it's your very own Geeks?

Robin said...

Carrie, I have considered this (in CSI everyone is a suspect.) College Geek is a hundred miles away at school. I have not seen any other signs that it could be the littler geeks, like wet shoes or coats not put back. It could be them of course, but in general they are really not that good at covering up. (not yet, anyway.)

CaJoh said...

I don't know if you can do this— but take it down, or remove the (oh, what do you call it) the material in the middle.

Something else I thought of is wind a bunch of rope throughout tight across the middle so that it deters them from jumping on it. If you're good with knots you can tie it so that they can't un-tie it. Don't worry… in the spring you can just cut it. (Hopefully they don't figure that out too).

Robin said...

CaJoh, I get it, the best defense is a good offense. Unfortunately, my trampoline is the best outlet I have for all of my little geeks energy. We use the trampoline year around, especially in the winter.

Mean Mom said...

It's great when snow first falls. Everyone dashes out to make snowmen and go sledging, but after a couple of days, in this country, it is generally treacherous underfoot and no fun at all. It's been a long time since we were snowed in.

You do have a bit of a problem, in your garden. I wouldn't want any outsiders 'using my facilities, either'. ;0)

Could you move your trampoline closer to the house and put up security lights, which light up the garden, when they sense motion? We have one, which lights up the side of our house. Quite a few people use them, here and they don't cost too much. It might be just enough to frighten them off.

Cheri and Jesse said...

I was going to suggest motion SPOTlights!!! I would worry about liability if someone got hurt on it, even without your permission. This might be over the top, but have you thought about making a police report, just in case. Maybe they could drive through your subdivision a few times per night. They did that in my subdivision and it stopped all the stupid (mostly harmless) stuff the teen's were doing at the end of the summer.

Robin said...

Mean Mom, the trampoline is right by the house which is why I never suspected that the kids would be so brazen. Of course now I think back to times when I "thought" I heard something....

Motion senser lights are a great idea. I will purchase some and have Mr. Geek install them as soon as the snow melts.

Kalynne Pudner said...

Being engineers, y'all could probably embellish the motion detector lights to turn on a siren as well (or if not that, some "Here's Johnny" kind of music). And a video camera for the YouTube that will surely beg to be posted -- don't forget that part.

Robin said...

Cheri, what kind of Juvenile Delinquents go out in the January cold? This is why snow days are evil.

Kalynne, I believe they play Barry Manilow to punish prisoners. I guess it is time to get out my old albums.

Kash said...

I may be the only one here is TOTALLY ENVIOUS!

Robin said...

Kash, are you jealous of the snow or the lack of adult conversation?

Elizabeth said...

I am thinking they probably don't jump all the time? Maybe they just saw the snow on the trampoline and couldn't resist. I would be tempted to jump on a freshly snowed tramp myself!
Put up razor wire in the back corner of the yard. Just kidding.

Robin said...

Elizabeth, you are welcome to jump on my trampoline anytime you want. If you want fresh snow though you will have to get here early (or maybe the middle of the night).