Tuesday, April 29, 2008

10 Superstitions

I was trying to think of a good post for Tuesday when I found Tuesday Ten. Today subject was 10 Superstitions, Traditions, and/or Personality Quirks. My family, specifically my Mom, has lots of Old Wife Sayings that we have grown up reciting.

Here are some I remember.

1. If you spill salt you must throw a pinch of it over your left shoulder.

2. Bragging about a streak of good luck will anger the demons who must then be scared off by knocking on wood. For example, I have not had a car accident in ten years, knock on wood (your head will due in a pinch.)

3. If your palm itches, you will be getting money soon.

4. Never open an umbrella inside the house, it is bad luck.

5. Never enter a house through one door and leave out of a different one. It will cause the luck to run out of the house.

6. While talking a friend and you call them by a different name, it was because the person whose name was spoken was thinking about your friend.

7. If your nose itches, you will be hearing news.

8. Drop a fork? You will have a visitor. (Maybe it is a spoon?)

9. Do you have a ringing in your ears? Someone is talking about you.

10. Things come in threes, good and bad. Do you just have two horrible things happen? Wait for it.


What saying do you have in your family?

14 comments:

The Holistic Knitter said...

1,2,3,4 and 10 I'm superstitious about too :0)

Hootin' Anni said...

Yep, yep, yep. I remember all these too.

Great 10 on Tues. And glad you shared your first one, hope to see you over at my blog today sometime if you can find time.

Bina said...

I grew up hearing all of these, except entering the door and leaving the same way. I've never heard of that one!

And ya know, that thing in 3's seems to be SO true!

Faith said...

Wow...never heard #6 before....interesting. My mom and grandma always said a lot of those, too. Some of them I'd forgotten about. Thanks for sharing. Great list!

Joyce said...

My mom had all the same sayings. She drove herself crazy with them, plus many more, because she actually used them as a rule of life.

Nino said...

I had forgotten the reason behind #2. Thanks for reminding. Happy Tuesday!

Mean Mom said...

Thanks for calling in at my place, but come clean. What did you answer a's, b's or c's? Come on, you can tell me!

Your post is interesting! My mom still says 'You can't put an old head on young shoulders', when I complain about the latest antics of my grown up sons. Will they ever get their old heads, I wonder??

The other one that I keep thinking of, at the moment, is 'There's many a true word spoken in jest.'

La g├╝era said...

I always thought, never open an umbrella indoors because someone will die. Morbid, but one I avoid at all costs!!

Sandy M said...

I wish my palm would itch just a little bit, lol.

Lazy Daisy said...

I enjoyed these too. I've heard most of them from my own mom.

Cheri and Jesse said...

Doesn't one hand mean you'll be receiving money and the other means you'll have more bills to pay??

Kathryn said...

We grew up hearing about not opening an umbrella in the house.

How about this one - my mother buried a dirty dishrag in the backyard and her wart went away. Ha ha. We thought she had completely lost her mind.

She also said it was a sin to throw away an apple. My mother was not hyper religious, either.

Mike said...

My mom would get so mad if you opened the umbrella in the house. I tell my kids not to either, I think it's some residual effect or something. Good post.

Damama T said...

Even though I don't believe in them causing any type of bad luck, thanks to my Mom I still find myself avoiding walking under ladders and cringe every time a black cat crosses my path.