Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday Ten - Ten Things I Have Planted

After a weekend of very weird weather (Saturday we wore hats and gloves to the soccer game, Sunday, we wore shorts and sandals) I finally was able to put some stuff into the ground. Here is what I have planted so far. (I added the Latin name to just in case some really smart gardener accidentally stumbles upon this site through google and would like to offer me some free advice.)



Herbs

Sweet Basil - Ocimum basilicum

Provence Lavender - lavandula intermedia

Fernleaf dill - Anethum graveolens

Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis

Chamomile - Chamaemelum nobile



Vegetables

Tomato - Beefsteak

Pepper - Sweet Bell (Red)

Squash - Burpee's hybrid zucchini I planted these as seeds within the lettuce bed. My goal is that as the lettuce crop ends, (Lettuce grown in the hot summer is yucky.) the zucchini will be mature enough to cover the garden. I just have to get the timing right. Then next September, I can pull out the zucchini and plant another crop of lettuce.



Flowers

Marigold - Happy Day Mix I love marigolds because they flower all summer long, reseed themselves, are virtually indestructible and best yet -- repel rabbits. Yippee.

Dianthus "Neon Star" - Clavelina

2 comments:

Doc said...

Ouch...my Latin is rusty.

Bina said...

I love Dianthus. I have several at my house. And they stay green all winter!

That dill sounds good. I haven't bought any (not fresh, of course) for a long time and I guess it's because I just forgot it existed!

You are going to have such a wonderful garden!