Monday, May 19, 2008

I am Friends With a Real Life Published Author

Meet my friend Esther

She has published a book of her poetry .

Esther worked in the same department as I did when I began my first job as an engineer. The fact that Esther was working in an engineering department might not seem unusual until you remember the times. At this time, women were just beginning to enter this field. Although there were several female engineers that were hired the same year I was, the oldest female engineer in the department was only four year older. Esther was an Engineering Technician and a role model for us although I know she would never think of herself as one. I think she just thought of herself as mother who worked to support her children. Esther demonstrated that you could be professional, intelligent -- and female. This was not easy in the male dominated aerospace industry in the Eighties. oh I could write a book!

She embraced her role of mother in the office also. We happily let her adopt us and she would peel apples and slice them for us, and kept her bottom drawer full of snacks and peanut butter and crackers. Her mother made beautiful quilts and I was lucky (and greatful) to receive one as a gift. My son now uses that quilt on his bed. Esther's family was strong in their faith and sometime it gives great pleasure in thinking that maybe as her mother stitched this quilt, maybe she was praying, and perhaps those prayers now surround my son as he sleeps.

3 comments:

Bina said...

I read the article you pointed us to. What a great story! And man, she has a lot of kids and grand children! Surrounded by lots of love, that's what I call it!

I bet you feel so very blessed to know her.

Cheri and Jesse said...

I love what you wrote about the quilt. That gave me chills.

Kathryn said...

I think you are right about the quilt. Love is love and it embues everything. Seems like a wonderful woman.