Friday, January 25, 2008

Singing


I love/hate the American Idol Auditions.

I love watching people rising from obscurity and into the limelight. I love watching people with raw talent.

I hate watching people with possible personality defects openly mocked. But most of all I hate watching people with GOOD voices get the news that they will never be GREAT. These are people that had the lead in every school musical, they have sung solos at church since they were in grade school, people ADORE them, every day someone has told them "You need to audition for American Idol". They practice and practice, they get up the courage, and ....nothing....nothing. They are barely a blip on the Simon Insult radar.


This is the song that has been going through my head lately:

But music was his life, it was not his livelihood,

and it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good.

And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul.

He did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.


Mr. Tanner by Harry Chapin

If you are not familiar with Harry Chapin's music (you should be), the story is of Mr. Tanner, a man with a beautiful baritone. He is encouraged to try singing professionally, and after much build up, he gets an audition.... and a lukewarm review.... and he never sings again (except late at night, when the store is dark and closed).

Those who know me know I love to sing. I was lucky (yes, lucky no false illusions here) enough a long time ago to realize that I was never going to make a living singing. In high school, when choir conflicted with trigonometry, I took trig. I was right, trig has made me alot more money than my singing would have (unless they paid me to stop, hah). But I love to sing, and that is why I feel so for those auditioning that "sing from the soul" and I hope they never lose that joy.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Robin, I too love to sing! I've had the same thoughts watching Idol. It's like you can see their soul's light being snuffed out because of one person...but a voice that will be in their heads and probably make them hesitate to ever sing in front of anyone again.

I think singing is a part of being healthy, getting feelings "up and out." Healthy 5th chakra and all.

That's one thing my son has done for me, to sing and not care what anyone else thinks as long as it makes him happy.

Rebecca said...

I have a love hate relationship with American Idol too. I don't want to see any of the bad singers - just the good ones!

Bina said...

And you know what'a amazing to me? They let some go through that I think should go on, and some that I think are really good, they send them away! I just don't get it.