Sunday, January 20, 2008

Comfort Food

When the temperature starts dropping and January seems to stretch on endlessly, I crave food from my childhood. My number one comfort food is not only from my childhood but also from my dad's childhood, a comfort food that has spanned the generations.

My dad grew up in the depression, the only son of a divorced woman, uncommon in the day. My grandma worked in a dress factory when she could and my dad was not embarassed to tell me of the time they gladly took food from the Salvation Army.

Knowing this you should guess that my dad's boyhood food was simple, cheap, and filling. Here's the recipe:

Beans and Hamhocks

1 pound dried navy beans
1-2 Ham Hocks (I substituted smoked chicken breast because of my son's pork allergy. It was a delicious substitution however I am sure it would not acceptable to my grandma if she were still with us)

That's it, that is all the ingredients.
Soak the dried beans over night. Rinse and add fresh water and cook over low heat until the bean are cooked through. (no al dente, I mean mushy) Add hamhocks and continue cooking. Add salt to taste.

Serve with (and this is important) fried potatoes and onions. Pour a couple tablespoons of oil in a frying pan, add thinly sliced potatoes and onion. Cook until the potatoes are very crispy. Add lots of salt and pepper (this is comfort food, salt and fat do not count). You can eat corn muffins with this as long as they are made sweet corn bread, such as those made from Jiffy Mix.

For a GFCF, egg free version, see following:
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon egg substitute
Mix the dry ingredients with
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup water
Makes 2 dozen mini muffins baked 15 minutes at 375

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yum!! I'm just now catching up with your posts. I will be making this soon. Thanks. God, I'm starving.