Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Staycation (rhymes with Vacation)

I am told that the new trend (in these economic times) is to stay at home and vacation locally. Who knew that the Geek family could be so trendy??!!



Today we continued seeing our city as tourist. Like most people who live in St. Louis, we really don't visit the Arch. Go ahead, ask some one who lives here when the last time they went up in the Arch. There is a good chance they haven't visited since that grade school field trip (unless someone out-of-town visitor takes them there.)



So to the Arch we went.


To get to the top you ride in small capsules (elevators). The car below seats five.




When you get to the top you can look out the windows. The Middle Geek insisted that I put my arm around him as he looked out. It can be a bit unnerving.


You can get a spectacular view of the city from that high up.



Running up and down the stairs leading between the Arch and the river proved to be incredible fun (well not for me). They must have run up and down three times.


Then we took a Riverboat cruise.




Here is AbFab and Mr. Geek pretending to be on a romantic Caribbean Cruise (alone).






We visited the Old Cathedral (no pictures, we had to talk in hushed tones too), and the Old Courthouse. (this is where the famous Dred Scott Case was heard.)



Visit back tomorrow to vote for the best picture of the day!!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I was just downtown yesterday. The last Arch visit I had was in July, when my sister and her family visited. Another friend visited in September, but I begged her not to make me go again.

I've always wanted to go inside the Cathedral. I love your photo of the rotunda! (Is that what it's called?)

Didn't know Dred Scott was heard here in STL. Hmm...

Mean Mom said...

I've learnt a lot on your site, today! I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of the Arch, or Dred Scott.

I've found a picture of the Arch (Impressive!!) and I've read about the tram etc. Probably not recommended for claustrophobics, then, even if it is only a 4 minute trip. The view may be worth hyperventilating for, though!

Glad you had a good time. We had a staycation, too, this year. I enjoyed it. We did a lot of walking in the countryside.

Robin said...

Elizabeth - The Littlest Geek took that picture by lying on his back on the floor in the middle of the rotunda!

Mean Mom - There are lots of people that never make it up when they see the size of the car.

The Civil War in the US was especially brutal in Missouri. Because it straddles the north and the south, it really pitted brother against brother. I learned in school (but have never confirmed) that Missouri lost the most soldiers of any state (combining Conferate and Union armies.)