Thursday, May 7, 2009

Getting Lost

I am continuing to add to my Life For Life. Some people call this their Bucket List or list of things to do before you die.

The next category is Getting Lost.

This could be literal, drive or walk somewhere until you are lost, and then let life happen. I prefer to think of this as a suggestion to let go of control, go to the unfamiliar and then let stuff unfold. Sort of like planned spontaneity.

Some of the suggestions - and my thoughts

Join a tribe By a tribe, Phil means a group of people bonded by family, culture or mutual interests. When I think of my tribe, I am reminded of sitting around the sorority house full of geeks in college. I love to spend time with people who are passionate about something like art, music, feeding staving children, etc. Also my favorite part of any vacation is to get out of the touristy areas and find grocery stores and people that live there.

I have always hoped to visit Burning Man . However as this event gets bigger and bigger I am thinking there is probably a better counter-culture event to join. Any suggestions?

Get marooned Get somewhere remote and live off the land. Oh my, that sounds like my "honeymoon" in the Canadian Bush. Can we just say, been there done that. (And someday I will have to blog about it.)

Go on a "quest" You find a journey and retrace the steps, like those that follow Lewis and Clark's trail or go to every hotel that Washington slept at. I have been on marked trails like the Freedom Trail in Boston and we have traced some of Route 66 .

I have two quests I am considering. One is easier- I would like to bike across Missouri following the Katy Trail carrying everything we need for the week and exploring parts of rural Missouri.

The next is a bit more out there. My third grade teacher read books to us and my favorite one was North to Freedom . It is an adventure story of a young boy's escape from a Detention Camp in Eastern Europe. He takes a boat to Italy and journeys north to Denmark. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It is for about 7th grade level readers but I have reread it many times as an adult. There is a movie based on the book called "I Am David". It is also good, but not near as wonderful as the book. So to be able to retrace his journey north would be lots of fun.

Have you ever been lost?

2 comments:

Bina said...

Robin, I feel lost every. single. day and feel I will never find my way. And I don't even know where I'm going! LOL

But I would love to get lost in the mountains, with camping gear of course!

Elizabeth said...

I have panic attacks when I get lost. Truly, it's happened. Although now as I've gotten older, I just do U-turns a lot. But sometimes I can still get panicky!