Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An ER Visit

This week's writing prompt from MamaKat is:

An ER Visit...


I teach safety for a living and I like to use real life examples as illustrations what to do and even better-- what not to do. To be fair I tell a few stories about myself.

One summer night Mr. Geek and I were cooking a great dinner -- Steaks on the grill, asparagus with cheese sauce. yum. I was multitasking, checking the steaks out on the patio and making the cheese sauce in the kitchen. I started melting the butter in a pan, added some flour and was ready to slowly add milk. When I open the refrigerator, the milk carton was empty. I grabbed the new gallon of milk and went to untwist the cap, but the stupid safety ring wouldn't give.

This was where I usually go get a fork and pry off the plastic ring, but I looked down and there was a butter knife right there on the counter. How perfect, I thought, I will use the knife to pry off the plastic ring. It will work just like a fork and I will have one less utensil to clean. Who was I fooling, I was not worried about cleaning up I was more thinking about convenience - I was hungry and I was in a hurry. I did not want the steaks or sauce to burn and I WAS HUNGRY. (Did I mention that?)

I took the knife with my right hand and put it into the plastic ring in order to to then pry it off when with out warning, the plastic ring broke. The momentum that I had carried the knife down to where my left hand was holding the gallon of milk. The knife cut into my left pointer finger (Can you picture this?) It was then that I found out that you can indeed cut yourself with a butter knife.


I saw blood. I turned off the stove. I grabbed several papertowels and put pressure on the cut. I held the finger above my heart. Then I thought, I think I should sit down.

Along came Mr. Geek. concern about .... the burning steaks. He was hungry too.

"What happened?"

"I cut myself"

"Well get a band aid."

(Can you feel the concern?)

"I think I might need stitches"

At this point, Mr. Geek finally actually looked at me. He stopped rushing around and said, "Let me see it."

Yes, it was going to need stitches. We were able to call a neighbor girl over to watch the kids (the little geeks were still toddlers) and we went to the ER.

We finally ate our steaks at 10:00 that night.

4 comments:

imstillfab said...

Thank god the steaks --err-- your finger was okay! seriously, did the knife go through the finger or do you have the sharpest butter knives ??

Cute story... Stopping by from Kat's!

Damama T said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I did something similarly stupid... errr ... unfortunate & painful once. Butcher's knife. Frozen dinner rolls. Finger bone exposure... I'm so glad yours wasn't any worse than it was. When it happens so fast it's even scarier because if it cut your finger how bad would it have been if it had gone another direction. UGH! xoxoxo

tiddlyompompom said...

I too have used a knife to open something and managed to slice my finger to the bone. Glad it's not just me!

Jules said...

OMG. Glad to hear you are/were okay. And isn't it nice that you don't have a hubby that panics and faints at the sight of blood? And the steaks didn't get destroyed. Yay!

What a great story. Love your writing style. It just gets better and better! :)