Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Medika Mamba in Haiti

I HATE cliches, I really hate them. But... well my time in Haiti really did change me. I haven't really posted on much of that because I am not sure how to write about it yet - without using lots of cliches which I just told you I hate.

I have kept up with the blogs I visited before my trip. Remember way back then, when even the thought of going to Haiti seemed so out there. I was searching for blogs that would tell me how dangerous the "man on the street" felt about Haiti and was looking for suggestions as to what to bring.

Well in a coincidence that should not surprise me, one of the blogs I follow is now connecting with the plant where I worked when I visited Cap Haitian. Tara and Troy Livesay live in Port au Prince with their family. I love to read of the Livesay family as they live their "ordinary" lives and interact with that which is so uniquely Haiti. Tara and Troy are expanding the number of children in the Medika Mamba program. To fund this project, Tara is running a marathon. (She is actually training in Haiti.) She has several supporters that have offered to match any funds that she can raise here.

Go visit Renald. I was going say and try to understand, but there is no understanding within me that can justify the pain in these children and their mother's lives.

I leave you with this thought for the day.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for injustice, freedom and peace. -Franciscan Benediction

No comments: