Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Blind Side



I believe that I might be the very last person in the world to see this movie. I tried to be one of the first. Leigh Anne Tuohy, one of the main characters, is a Kappa Delta which is AbFabGeek's very own sorority. Because if that connection I had received an email announcement before the opening. I tried to arrange to see the movie with a few of my AbFab Sorority sisters but our schedules never did line up.

Anyway Mr. Geek wanted to see the movie too - he had heard it was not just a chick flick. Then our church then started a sermon series based on the movie. Sometimes waiting until you have time to do something just doesn't happen. So we just said - tonight- we are going to see it tonight. Never mind that tonight was a Sunday evening - that is a school night.

Then we made another big decision - We decided to see the movie as a family (minus College Geek - he was, you know, at college). This was a big deal. Mostly we only see movies like The Squeakquel- very much kids movies and now we were planning on taking the little geek to a grown up movie (not to be confused with adult movie --ick).

And the response from the little Geeks was .... "Why do we have to go? Can't we just stay home? Can't we go see a different movie?" You know-- enthusiastic.

But we held firm. "You will like this movie", we told them.

"No I won't I saw the preview. I HATE those kind of movies. I think football is stupid."

So we headed to the movies. (I even bribed them each with a dollar if they would just not disturb me.) The little geeks sat in the very first row and Mr. Geek and I sat in the very last row. (Family bonding at its best.)

As you all know by now the movie is wonderful. It has gotten great reviews and several awards so I won't bore you with my review.

What I do want to share was the response of the little geeks.

They were blown away by the movie. During the credits they walked back to where Mr. Geek and I were sitting and began to talk about the movie. The conversation continued as each of them laid down in their bed that night through breakfast the next morning.

Here are their impression: The Middle Geek was ready to search for a homeless person for us to adopt.

Littlest Geek: When he said that he had never had a bed before I wanted to cry.

Not enough has been made about Leigh Anne's husband Sean Tuohy role in Micheal Ohrer's story. The emphasis is on Leigh Anne and her take charge ways. In the following interview, I found out that Sean Tuohy was already buying Micheal his lunch everyday.

But I think Sean has an even more pivotal role in the story. I love the way he looks at Leigh Anne from the car when she is about to ask Micheal to stay over night. I love the way he reassures her when later she is wondering if she did the right thing. I love how you know that none of this story would have been possible if the family did not work together as a team.




Oh yeah and you know what else? I love how Sean Tuohy (and even Tim McGraw) remind me of Mr. Geek and his unwavering support when I make announcements like : I am going to Haiti. I am going back to grad school. I think we should adopt. Mr. Geek, we have a new son . I never have to guess, I know Mr. Geek is in it with me the whole way.

5 comments:

Kalynne Pudner said...

I haven't seen it yet, either. We had hoped to see it as a family, and our schedules haven't lined up. Not even with bribery. Thanks for tipping me off on what to look for!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I have a crush on Mr. Geek for his unwavering support.

I am technically the last person to see that movie, as I have yet not seen it. BRILLIANT idea having the kids sit way away - wish I'd thought of that!

Elizabeth said...

It was such a good movie, wasn't it?

Dan is like that for me too.

Deb Shucka said...

I love this story, and I'm joining Carrie in her crush on Mr. Geek while I'm chuckling at your younger geeks. When I saw this movie, I felt the exact same way about the dad and how much he loved and supported his wife.

Kathryn said...

No, you are never the last. The last one on earth would be me. When I saw Julie and Julia I had not been to the movies in seven years, Robin.

explains a lot.

I heard it was fabulous and not to miss it.