Saturday, July 4, 2009

Whip it Up 2009 - Holiday Favorite

This summer I am shopping in a new and different way. I am supporting local harvest by purchasing a share of a farmer's crop.

I have also discovered Angel Food Ministries . This is an awesome way to make your food budget go further. I love their Allergen Free Box. For the first time in a long time, I can go to my freezer for an easy meal of Chicken Nuggets for the little geeks. They are very happy too.

They have several choices of food to purchase and the last few months I have bought the "Latin Flavors" produce. It contains a little different variety each month and has key limes, jalapenos, pineapples, mangos and lots of other stuff.

This month it contained Yucca Root. I have seen these in the grocery store but I had no clue how are what you could use it. So I went (of course) to google.

I found a great possibility at this blog


Cassava Heavy Cake



First I peeled the Yucca root (also know as Cassava and Manioc and probably other names). I was afraid that was going to be difficult but I used a vegetable peeler and it was easy.
Unfortunately the second root was rotten on the inside, so I had to adjust ingredients on the fly (and cross my fingers).




I used my food processor to shred the yucca root. I looks like it made about 1 cup shredded.

1 can coconut milk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla (I LIKE vanilla)
1 Dash cinnamon (I like cinnamon only a little)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix two heaping Tablespoons of Cornstarch with just enough cool water to make a mixture and add to above.
Melt 3 Tablespoons of Margarine (to stay dairy free) in the pan -using the microwave.
Pour batter into the melted margarine.
Bake at 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours.
The result

This cake/ pie was delicious. It has a texture like Pecan Pie or Chess Pie, very smooth and slightly gooey. Fabulous!!



This is also my first entry for Whip It Up 2009

2 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Looks/sounds amazing!

Whip said...

This looks soo yummy.
Amazing what you can learn from the interwebs huh?