Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gooey Butter Cookies

Gooey Butter Cake is a St. Louis tradition. The story behind this cake is that a baker was trying to make a cake and mixed up the proportions of sugar and flour. The resulting mistake was so good that people asked for it. Recently Paula Deen has published a recipe causing people not from St. Louis to give her credit for the cake. Now I love Paula Deen, both of her boys and everything she deep fries or butters, BUT she did not invent Gooey Butter Cake.


St. Louis bakers are not content with just making the cake and now make Gooey Butter Cookies. I love these cookies and try hard not to buy them because I will eat them until they are gone. Please understand how honored you all should be are for me to attempt making what, if it is successful, a borderline addictive substance

All of the recipes that I found online started with a cake mix. Seriously that is really cheating. So I found a recipe that claims to be the original St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake recipe and I will attempt to make cookies out of it. (Also I hope to make the cookies Gluten Free, Dairy and Egg Free --- wish me luck!)

This is the recipe I started with....
St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
1 c all-purpose flour
3 tbs sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
1 1/4 c sugar
3/4 c butter or margarine
1/4 c light corn syrup
1 egg1 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c evaporated milk
powdered sugar; optional

This is the recipe I used (invented/ made up)
Allergen - Free Gooey Butter Cookies
that are just plain delicious
1 1/3 cup rice flour + up to 1/4 cup more
2/3 cup corn starch
1 1/4 cup + 3 T sugar (I was going from the recipe above so it was a weird amount)
1 t. Baking Powder
1 t. salt
1 T. Egg Replacer (I use EnerG brand)

Combine all dry ingredients. (I put mine in a bag so I could make the cookies more quickly later that day.)


In a stand up mixer.

1 cup Dairy Free Margarine
Cream until soft then add
1/4 cup white Corn syrup

Sift in dry ingredients. (I like to sift any flour but I find rice flour has a much better texture when sifted.)
Add 1/4 cup Coconut milk (I used the top part of the can which is mostly cream.)



I tested a couple cookies at 350 for 8-10 minutes. They spread out just a bit too much so I added the 1/4 cup of rice flour and I chilled the batter in the fridge in between batches.


Results:
Was the recipe easy to follow?

It was as easy as any cookie recipe. Making the dry ingredients ahead of time made the mixing quicker.
Did the dish taste good?

It was so VERY VERY good. Oh my!
Would you make it again?
Definitely we will make this again. I think next time I might try a bit less sugar and then roll the cookies in powdered sugar.


4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Since I actually ate some of the cookies you made, I will have to testify that they are indeed delicious! I'd like to try the ones you do next time when you dust them with sugar. Yum!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

They look delish!

Bina said...

Okay, so the first recipe list, do you go by that and just follow the mixing below your glutin-free recipe? I'd like to try this, but I don't have a stand mixer. Is that just a regular mixer that you use to make mash potatos and blend cake?

yes, I'm confused!

Robin said...

Bina - The first recipe is for a cake (I found it online). the second recipe is the one I actually used for the cookies. I used my stand up mixer because it is way easier, but you should be able to use any beater mixer that you normally use for making cakes or cookies.

I hope this helps....