Friday, April 10, 2009

Writing

When I started writing a blog over a year ago, my one intent was to just start writing again. It seemed that since high school I had not written much besides technical specifications, ugh! After I started writing I found that this blog was a great way to chronicle my family's experiences and has enabled me to meet so many wonderful and interesting people around the world and keep in touch with family near and far.

I have a post drafted about a particularly bad Good Friday. It is either maudlin or deeply emotional, depending I suppose on the quality on my writing. What I need is Simon Cowell to tell me if the story is "emotional brilliant" or "self-indulgent dribble".

So rather than post it I would like to ask anyone and everyone out there -- When is a story just sad and self-serving and when does a story become so real that it emotionally involves the reader? And how the heck can you tell the difference?

And while I am asking questions (and quoting Simon Cowell) - What about developing a personal and unique style, is it important and how do you know when you have achieved it? Wouldn't it be great if at any time in our lives we could assemble a panel of three, then sing, write, or give a presentation and hear the feedback. (Maybe not on national television...)

3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I don't love the panel of three idea - that's living your life according to others, never good. They say when the voice on the inside is louder than the voices on the outside, you've mastered your life.

You know it's self-serving when that was the impetus for writing - to serve self. Was that your impetus? Or were you just writing honestly, and perhaps (my favorite) dangerously?

Cheri and Jesse said...

I bet it is emotional brilliance. But I probably wouldn't be the best person to be on your panel of three since I have a good feeling I already know the story and would be emotionally involved. I would still love to read it.

CaJoh said...

So often we write and never know what others will think of it. Many times I wish that I could ask my readers to give me constructive criticism about what I just wrote so I know I got it right.