Friday, September 12, 2008

Product Review Friday

One of my favorite (geeky) thing to read in blogs is when bloggers try new products and then post the results. I find these examples to be much more informative than product websites and so much more accurate than commercials. So today I begin what I hope will be a regularly occurring feature -- Product Review Friday.



And the first product to be reviewed--Drum Roll Please ---




Wilton Ultra-Bake Silicone Baking Cups



For some reason, I had been skeptical of silicone bakeware. I don't know why I was skeptical. I had worked with silicone in industry and knew the material to be what is was advertised - High heat resistant, durable and nonstick. Maybe it was the association of industrial chemicals with food in my kitchen that made me pause.



Engineers are know for their curiosity (and geekiness) and curiosity got the better of me and I had to try this bakeware. (Really what could be better than combining my passions of cooking and engineering.) My first result was a fabulous Birthday Cake (look there for story).


So I was ready to try more silicone cookware. Engineers are known for their curiosity and problem solving ability and their ability to maximize profits (in other words, they can be really really cheap), so I waited for a sale. And waited. And waited. Finally my curiosity became stronger than my economic restraints and I purchased the Baking Cups - at FULL PRICE!!! (I am sorry mom.) $9.99 at Target.


First try - I made corn bread muffins.



My corn bread muffins are of course gluten, dairy and egg free and absolutely delicious. (If anyone wants the recipe let me know.) However, they do tend to stick to paper cupcake liners. I usually only make minimuffins without liners for that reason. But today I wanted a regular muffin.


I filled the Baking Cups a little over half full and placed them on a cookie sheet. I put the cookie sheet and cups into the oven and baked at the regular temperature of 350 F.



This is the muffin as it came out of the oven. It rose perfectly and became golden brown.







But the biggest miracle occurred next, when the muffin came out of

the cup completely intact and perfect. Look at that muffin, have


you ever seen anything that beautiful?




Bottom Line -- AbFabGeek completely endorses the Wilton Ultra-Bake Silicone Baking Cups.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

That is one beautiful muffin. Thanks for the review. It's everything I wanted to know about silicone but was afraid to ask.

Robin said...

Kathyrn - lol What can I say, I live a life of service!

Melissa said...

I would love the recipe if your willing to share. Thanks!

Maggie May said...

Good looking muffin. The cases were just the job. Pity they are throw away, though.
Do you have a lot of allergies? My daughter has the coeliac condition, so gluten free is the norm for her.

Robin said...

Melissa - I will email you the recipe.

Maggie - That is the most wonderful thing, they are not throw away. They are made to be used over and over again. Does your daughter want a corn bread recipe or is that very American?

Jules said...

Of course I always happen upon the food blogs when I'm starving! Now I have to go and raid an empty fridge (except for some hidden chocolate) and look for something healthy to eat.