Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thirteen of The Geeks Favorite Foods

These may not the most favorite because I was limited to what we have in the house right now. Also the food that is one boys favorite can be totally disgusting to the next boy (of course).



These foods are all gluten (wheat) and casein (dairy) free as well as egg, peanut and artificial color free. While this might seem restrictive, this diet changed my family's life (for the better) and I think we eat really good food.



Come visit our kitchen and this is what you will find.


Blueberry Juice - The Littlest Geek's favorite when I use Knox gelatin and make jello cups.





Blue Sky Soda- The Middle Geek loves soda. I do not like him to drink it. Our compromise is natural soda. It is high-fructose corn syrup free and I think it taste so much better. It is a bit pricey which makes it a treat, but isn't that what soda is supposed to be.





Sliced Jalapenos- Middle Geek's new obsession. The brand is not that important, but be sure to look for those jarred without Yellow 5 or 6.





La Tiara Taco Shells - These are the best crunchy tacos shells ever.







Frank's RedHot Sauce -Chicken Wings are the Middle Geeks favorite and this is how we buy our hot sauce.



Bob's Red Mill Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix - There are some premade mixes I like to keep in the house. This Cinnamon Raisin Bread makes great bread or sometimes I make them in my minimuffin pan to make cinnamon rolls.






Pamela's Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix - These are the very very best. I keep these in my pantry when I need a quick company dessert. Even people who don't eat gluten free loves these.





EnerG Rice Pasta -This pasta makes the best Lasagna which is the Littlest Geeks current favorite food.





Ian Fish Sticks - The Middle Geek loves these, the Littlest Geek hates them. They are expensive so I don't try to talk him into them. They are good for a quick lunch.



EnerG Hot Dog Buns and breads are one of the few that are egg free. These are not like gluten filled bread at all, but my boys haven't had gluten in five years and they love them.





Enjoy Life Soft Baked Double Chocolate Brownie - The Middle Geek's favorite treat when I let them pick out "one thing".
Cherrybrook Kitchen Chocolate Chip Cookies- According to Middle Geek, "These taste like I am not supposed to have them." That is a really good thing!




Full Circle Sunflower Butter - If your child is allergic to peanuts there are lots of other options. My favorite is Macadamia Nut Butter. However if your child is allergic to tree nuts then you can have Sunflower Butter. (Sunflowers are seeds, not nuts) It tastes different than peanut butter, but once you get used to it it is very good.





8 comments:

Kash said...

Thanks for the tips! How has the diet changed your family life? Would love to know.

Angela Williams Duea said...

I looooove Red Mill gluten free products!

And like kash, I would love to know how the diet changed family life. Care to blog about that?

Mean Mom said...

I have a friend who has to follow a gluten free diet. Supermarkets, here, have recently begun to offer a small selection of gluten free foods, but you obviously have more to choose from. I have never heard of rice pasta and I am sure that my friend simply does not eat pasta any more. I am going to google it, in case it's available somewhere. You never know.

Robin said...

Kash and Angela - Perhaps a blog entry about why we eat what we eat would be (interesting?) (useful?) fine. I will try to post something on Monday.

Mean Mom - There are so many more gluten free available products around than five years ago when we changed our diet. You might have your friend look for Ancient Harvest Pasta, we like that one too.

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know that Middle liked hot wings so much. Remind me to email you the recipe for a hot wing chicken dip. So very easy, although you might have to change the ingredients a bit to suit the family's dietary needs. But maybe it'll work for him. I'd love for him to be able to try it!

Peter said...

Hey Robin,

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It's nice to get new readers! I am busy going through your blog, and I'm going to take those questions where you have to bold everything you've done - it's great!
will be back!

Those photos of food are making me really hungry - especially the cookie mix!

take care,
Peter

Gretchen said...

It's great seeing common products from other countries! I think I'll have to do one of these posts this week. Thanks for the great idea!

Bina said...

Wow. It sounds like so much work to eat right, and I never knew there were so many options! And sunflower butter? Does that taste like peanut butter? Is it better? I mean, does all this stuff taste good?