Friday, March 21, 2008

The Birthday Cake

This was my son's birthday cake. It is a penguin because he likes penguins!!

It was my first time using a silicone baking pan and I was really sketical if it would turn out or not.


I used the recipe for my boy's favorite (gluten- free casien-free egg-free) Brownies.

The big question was - Would the cake come out of the pan?
I cooled the cake completely (as long as I could stand it, I am not very patient), turned them over and...
Well see for yourself, they came out perfectly!



I used homemade butter icing (so much better than store bought). I didn't have any decorating stuff, so I used a ziplock bag with a hole cut out. (Now you know why when my niece and I decorate cakes, she does the icing.) Even so, I think he turned out pretty cute. (and artifical color free also.)


6 comments:

Cheri and Jesse said...

Hey, that's REALLY cute!!!! Good job!

Tanya said...

yum yum yum. GF, CF and all those other fs free. Thats awesome. What did you use for the yellow? Tumeric?

Rob said...

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Yummy and pretty (the cake!)

Bina said...

Wow! That is great! You did a great job!

Robin said...

Tanya --I have an assortment of Decorating Sugar from India Tree. They all use natural colors, and the yellow is tumeric. It is so yellow, I don't know why manufatures have to use Yellow 5 and 6.

Anonymous said...

Robin-wish I could have been there to enjoy the cake with Jake! Its great! You are such a good Mom to go to great lengths for a Happy Birthday!

KO